Disappointing Products



Some times products can be so hyped up in the beauty world that your hopes and expectations for them can be quite high. An rightly so as some of these products can be a little costly! After doing my make up one morning and being thoroughly disappointed with how it looked I felt the urge to have a little moan about some of these products that I had such high hopes for. So positive I am! XD

The Body Shop All-In-One InstaBlur
Now I hadn't heard masses of people raving about this product but a few beauty blogging stars swayed me into purchasing this product. Some people said that this product really prolonged the wear of their make up and that they sweared by it and others also said it created a lovely base for foundation. Exactly what I wanted! So off I went on my trip to The Body Shop. When I saw the £14 price tag and the actual size of the product, 25 ml, (a lot smaller than it seemed on people's videos), I was most reluctant to purchase it. However with the never ending deals and the slightly more budget friendly three-for-two offer I decided to cave and get it. The texture of the product is almost like a soft, matte jelly and likewise it leaves the most delightful baby soft feel and matte look to the face. Delightful as it sounds this was about the only thing I enjoyed with this product. It didn't seem to help smooth out my slight dry patches and they became quite prominent throughout the day as my foundation clung to them. I was also most unimpressed with how it prolonged the wear of my make up.I barely saw a difference but even if I did it wasn't worth the price tag; my make up ALWAYS wore off within a few hours every day. I often found myself in the college toilets touching up what I thought to be a few spots with my concealer, which actually resulted in me applying concealer to the majority of my face. I am so glad I didn't pay full price for this primer. Although it feels lovely on the skin it just doesn't do the job.

Max Factor Facefiniy All Day Flawless Foundation
This was a foundation I was most excited to try. When I first got into the beauty craze of YouTubers and blogging a couple of years ago I heard a number of people say this was exactly the same as the Cover Girl 3 in 1 foundation, which seemed to have a great full coverage apparently. When I went to purchase this the sales assistant also told me people had compared it to the Estée Lauder Double Wear Foundation, which is probably claimed to be one of the most high coverage foundations out there. My expectations for this product where a thick consistency with a very high coverage and good lasting power.Well it was most certainly far from that. Now I give it that it was a thick consistency however the coverage was rubbish! Two layers I had to apply and it still left my bloody spots just as noticeable as ever. The lasting power was awful too. Even with a primer on it lasted say 4 hours before it started disappearing. It also clung to my slight dry patches very badly. For the cost of £12.99 I would most certainly not purchase this foundation again, even if I had clear skin.

Seventeen Phwoarr Paint
Seen as this concealer was encased in a pot I was expecting a heavy, creamy texture with a very full coverage. The texture wasn't too heavy and delightfully creamy however the downside was this concealer really did have absolutely no coverage at all. Now my acne is quite prominent and I need some form of miracle concealer to cover it however even when I tested this concealer under my eyes, which is what it says it's intended use is for, I saw no coverage of my mere dark circles. To add to the list its lasting power is also awful and barely lasts a couple of hours on me. Just to put the cherry on the cake it also clung to my dry patches :) lovely :) So at £5.49 I don't think I will be repurchasing this one again.

Collection Work the Colour Eyeshadow Pencil
After hearing the beauty world rave about the By Terry Ombre Blackstar eye shadow sticks I was desperate to get my hands on a more Ellie-budget-friendly eye shadow stick. That's where the Collection offering caught my eye and I thought what better than to pick a nice champagne colour but oh boy was I wrong. Applying the product to my delicate eye lid was really tough as the product was quite dry. When applied however it was very sheer, leaving a weak shimmer. As I attempted to blend it the product had already dried and adding more left a horrible tinfoil-like mess on my eye lids. All I can describe the effect as is like crinkled tinfoil and it wasn't pleasant. The product quickly dried up within a few months and is now unusable. I will definitely not be repurchasing this one again, sorry Collection.

Rimmel Scandal Eyes Waterproof Kohl Liner
From a few beauty gurus of the internet I had heard this was a staple classic, one to rival the Urban Decay liners, however I just wasn't impressed at all. Applied to the waterline it appeared slightly patchy and immediately after application it transferred to my clean tight line. I found this really annoying and I'm sure, as I recall wearing jet black liner in my early teenage years, this wasn't the case with other products. Something else annoying was that I found it hard to be precise with the pencil as the product was a bit too creamy, resulting in product getting caught in and below my lower lashes. I ended up looking more gothic than simply defining my eyes. Due to its creaminess however it didn't drag on my eye area, which is highly important to protect the delicate skin! After a few hours of wear it noticeably smudges below my eye; so much for waterproof ayy! Just to note my eyes don't really tend to water that much and they hadn't been near water either, and no I hadn't rubbed my eyes. I'd say it's lasting power is very weak and it doesn't live up to its expectations, nor leave me with the gentle defined finish I am looking for. As for that I don't think this is one I will be purchasing again.

Bourjois Poudre De Riz De Java
Now in English I think this is basically Java Rice Powder and as the name suggest the product is derived from rice (with added bits and bobs of course). Seen as it was a cult classic, dating back to 1879, I was tempted to give it ago, drawn in by the prospects of possibly a more natural powder. To be honest I think I was just fooled by the rice. Now it does have a gorgeous, perfume scent to it, one which some people may find a bit much however I enjoyed it. Although it applied nicely, when patted on gently, it really didn't do much for me. I must say though it does give the skin a very nice gentle glow and doesn't go cake-y at all. My only issue was its slight pink tint at times made me look a little orange-y and it didn't help my make up stay on what so ever. Although this vintage beauty wasn't the worst product, for £9.99 I feel I can do a lot better.

So there it is, I hope you enjoyed my little ramblings and maybe found them helpful. Everyone's skin and preferences are different so what works for you may not work for me and vice versa however a honest review can sometimes be most helpful in looking for a product to suit you and your preferences. Now as you may notice my pictures look a little smaller than usual and this is because they were taken before I had may camera, ahhh my desire to keep things neat and tidy is going to have to bare with here! Anyways normal picture size-ings shall resume promptly! Have a lovely day.

Ellie x

Comments